Wednesday, November 28, 2001

I was once violated...and this is my story...

Around me is a sea of greenery. Lush green paddy fields, coconut groves swaying in the early morning breeze and banana plantations. As I stand in the chest deep water of the small pond, I can see a collage of greenery rippling in the dark but crystal clear water. The dawn is breaking, but I still cannot see the sun on the reddish eastern horizon.

Perfect time for an early morning bath. Especially so for a city dweller like me accustomed to standing under a shower in the closed confines of 4 walls. I take a deep breath and plunge into the water. I stay there till my lungs begin to feel tight and my face swells in pain. I pull up to the surface of the water and let the air in my lungs out in huge gasps. Ripples originate and spread all around me in the pond. I use fresh green coconut coir and begin to scrub myself. Taking another deep breath, I plunge once more and come up again. My skin feels incredibly fresh and smooth after the coir scrub. I wait for the water to flow off my hair and over my eyes.

As I open my eyes, I stare directly into another pair of eyes – black eyes, staring eyes, cold eyes, unforgiving eyes. Instinctively, I step backward into deeper water. The water now touches my chin.

But his eyes never look away. They are still riveted on me. Black eyes, staring eyes, cold eyes, unforgiving eyes. I do not enjoy my bath anymore. I wash my hair quickly in the water by plunging into the pond a few more times. Every time I come up to the surface, I look around me half expecting him to stand beside me and stare with his black, cold, unforgiving eyes.

But he still sits at his position. On a rock just on the water’s edge, waiting for me to walk out of the water. The dawn seems unusually slow in breaking this morning. The eastern horizon is still reddish.

I look around in desperation. Can I escape to safety from the pond? Not a soul in sight. I walk to the water’s edge a little away from where he sits and get behind the tall rocks where I have placed my clothes. I soon get into my bathrobe, step into my bathroom slippers and take the towel in my hands. I begin to walk slowly and carefully.

He still sits there on the rock. Watching my movements. I have to get past him safely to reach the road. His eyes track my steps. As I get closer to his rock, I realize that he has slowly begun to rise. My body trembles in fear but I walk on. It’s now or never. His black, staring, cold, unforgiving eyes still follow me and his lips part to reveal a sardonic grin. As I begin to pass the rock, I can see the muscles of his neck tighten. His eyes gleam. His lips curl and his stained teeth still grin at me sardonically.

I stand frozen hypnotic by this macabre spectre. At that very moment, he leaps on me and grabs my robe…

Shrill terror erupts from my throat….

Aieeeeeeeee…..the frog….the frog….the frog….

No comments: